Present: Leonard Evans (President Emeritus), Lars Englund (President), Zhenguo Wang (President Elect), Wiebo Brouwer (Immediate past president), Kurt Johansson (Treasure), Ying Wang (Secretary), Don Redelmeier (Regional Director for North America), Ulf Björnstig (Regional Director for Western Europe), Morris Odell (Regional Director for Australasia), Masahito Hitosugi (Regional Director for Eastern Asia), Jihong Zhou (Regional Director for Western Asia).
1. Lars Englund opened this electronic board meeting of ITMA by email and proposed four major issues to discuss: A) to accept the minutes of the last board meeting; B) to elect four new regional directors; C) to create an award committee; D) to approve the upgrade and update of ITMA website (see details below).
2. Ying Wang has documented the decisions of the board meeting and will put them on the ITMA website in consultation with the previous Secretary Wiebo Brouwer.
3. All the attendees voted YES to accept the minutes (attached in the opening email) that Wiebo Brouwer had taken from the last board meeting in May 2011, except one abstainer.
4. Four excellent candidates (CVs attached in the opening email) have been proposed to fill in all the current vacancies for regional directors of ITMA. They are Dr. Diva Eensoo from Estonia (nominated as the regional director for Eastern Europe), Dr. Essam Sharaf from Egypt (nominated as the regional director for Africa), Dr. Abbas Motevalian from Iran (nominated as the regional director for Middle East), and Dr. Jack Szymanski from Brazil (nominated as the regional director for South America). After exchanging comments and opinions, all the attendees voted YES to elect the four regional directors. At present, ITMA has nine regional directors, covering the world’s major countries and regions.
5. All the attendees voted YES to approve on the creation of an awards committee for “The International Traffic Medicine Association (ITMA) Award for Outstanding Contributions to Traffic Medicine” where Lars Englund will be the chair and Ying Wang and Donald Redelmeier will be members. The award will be presented in the incoming ITMA world congress.
6. Wiebo Brouwer and co-workers in the Netherlands have upgraded the ITMA website recently. Costs for what has already been done amounts to € 595 (invoice attached in the opening email) and the annual cost will be under € 100. All the attendees voted YES to approve the upgrade and update of the ITMA website, except one abstainer.